Who can enter this study?
Recruitment has now closed for our research study.
We are looking for 144 men and postmenopausal women, who:
• are 50 to 75 years old
• have a Body Mass Index (BMI) of at least 25 kg/m2
Not sure what your BMI is? Use this BMI Calculator (page opens in a new window). We'll also confirm your BMI at our health check visit.
We will not be able to recruit you as a participant in this study if:
• you smoke (or have stopped smoking within the last 6 months).
• your GP has told you that you have a disease related to your heart, liver, kidney, gut, blood, brain or thyroid, or if you have cancer or diabetes.
• your GP has prescribed you a vasodilator (like Viagra), medication for diabetes or hormone replacement therapy (HRT).
• you are allergic to blueberries or fructose intolerant.
• you have experienced substantial weight loss in the last 3 months, or if your GP / health advisor has placed you on a specific diet for a medical condition
• you wish to take flavonoid-containing dietary supplements or are taking part in another study.
If you are in any doubt about whether or not you may be suitable to volunteer, please do not hesitate to contact us.
Do I have to take part?
It is up to you to decide whether or not to take part. If you decide to take part you are still free to withdraw at any time and without giving a reason.
If you chose not to take part in the study, or withdraw from the study at any time, this will not affect your future healthcare.
An expression of interest does not commit you to participation.
Do I receive any reimbursement for travel and participation?
You will be reimbursed for travel expenses incurred as part of the study.
Expenses include travel to and from UEA on production of a receipt or at 45p/mile for private cars (up to a 25 mile radius) and car parking.
In addition, we will make an inconvenience payment based on the number and type of assessments made (as approved by the ethics committee).
Please be aware that travel payments are liable to tax, and the University of East Anglia is not responsible for informing the Inland Revenue.